Thursday, July 31, 2014

Jon Stewart Explains The Most Outrageous Corporate Tax Dodge Yet

In a Minute

Saturday, August 9, Restoration Workshop
Trinity United Methodist Church, 676 N. Gibbs 9:00 am 
 Our biggest need to make the Workshop a success is donations for the Silent Auction. We count on the proceeds to help fund the event and give us proceeds to fund the Grant Program. So please put aside items that you no longer need, or want to donate, for this important effort by Pomona Heritage. You can drop off the items at Jim and Suzanna Deakyne's side porch at 305 E. Jefferson, or just bring them to the Workshop on Saturday morning. Call Suzanna at (909) 615-7426 for more info. Thanks everyone! 
  We have a fun day planned with some new workshops, plus some returning favorites, our popular Silent Auction, a delicious lunch, our popular lunchtime Restoration Panel, and the after-workshop tour of a wonderful English Tudor "in progress" home.
  We could use some help passing out Workshop postcards in your neighborhood. If you have a little time, it's a great way to meet new neighbors and get the word out about the Workshop. Call Megan Gearhart for more details, (909) 753-9768.The Workshop is free and open to the entire community, so bring a friend and spread the word. See you there!
  Plans are well underway for a celebration of 30 years of bringing visitors to our neighborhoods and town, showcasing what a great place Pomona is to work and live in. We are proud of our city, and the Annual Tour has highlighted our three Historic Districts, rejuvenated Downtown, restored landmark buildings, and our vibrant diverse community.
 This year's Tour features 5 unique vintage homes decorated for Christmas, the magnificent Pilgrim Congregational Church Sanctuary, festive trolley service to the various sites, Holiday vendors, live music, holiday food and more! Keep a watch for future "In a Minute" updates and find out how you can help make this a holiday celebration! Call chairman Fred Van Allen for more details, (909) 261-9711. 


Ren's Did You Know ? - Notable people that live, in the city of Walnut

  • Evelyn Ashford, 1984 Olympic champion in the 100 m; arguably the greatest female sprinter ever, with a career that spanned an unprecedented five Olympic Games
  • Charlie Beck, current LAPD Police Chief And Former Chief Of Detective Of The LAPD
  • Paul Caligiuri, retired soccer player; formerly with the Los Angeles Galaxy, inducted into the National Soccer Hall of Fame in 2004
  • Gerardo, rapper and singer who later became a recording-industry executive
  • Alan HaskvitzNational Teachers Hall of FameReader’s Digest Hero in Education, NCSS National Teacher of the Year, International Teacher of the Year (Cherry Award), Learning Magazine Best Teacher in America, three Golden Bell Award, George Washington Medal
  • Ricky Lawson, famous drummer of such artists as: Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Eric Clapton, etc.
  • Tod McBride, former NFL player with the Green Bay PackersAtlanta Falcons and St. Louis Rams; standout wide receiver at Walnut High School and defensive back at UCLA
  • Darius McCrary, actor; known most for playing Eddie Winslow on the television show Family Matters
  • Gia Paloma, former American pornographic actress.
  • Lance Parrish, eight-time All-Star (1980, 1982–86, 1988, 1990) who won three Gold Glove Awards (1983–85). He ranks fifth in Major League history in home runs as a catcher with 299.
  • Gary Zimmerman, retired NFL player; played for the Los Angeles Express (USFL), the Minnesota Vikings from 1986–1992 and the Denver Broncos from 1993-1997. Was selected to the Pro Bowl 7 times and was an All-Pro selection 8 times. Inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame on February 2, 2008. Attended Walnut High School and the University of Oregon.
  • 2 women escape death on Indiana rail bridge

    Horse rescue caught on camera in Hesperia

    Eaton Canyon upper waterfall to close Friday

    Volunteer for this year's, Pomona Christmas Parade


    It's coming, and if you would like to volunteer, for this years Christmas Parade. Just call the number below, and they can help you out.
    119 W 2nd St, Pomona 91766
                                                                   Phone: 909-469-1121
                                                                       Fax: 909-469-1120

    "CHARLIE THE TROLLEY" - Every Second Saturday of each month, during our Art Walks, and it's "Free to Ride"

    Frank Sinatra's House in Palm Springs (Full show

    Pomona's M.V.B. - Paul McCartney - Uncle Albert/admiral Halsey

    Huey Lewis and the News

    , Riverside, CA

    Wed, Sep 3, 2014 06:30 PM
    Please Note: Everyone requires a ticket regardless of age. Disabled seati

    Ballet Folklorico De Mexico

    , Riverside, CA

    Sun, Aug 10, 2014 07:00 PM
    Please Note: Everyone requires a ticket regardless of age. Disabled seati

    This Day In History - Jimmy Hoffa disappears

    Pomona's M.V.B. - Crosby Stills Nash - Southern Cross

    Ren's Did You Know ? - Wrigley Field in Los Angeles

    Chicago’s Wrigley Field, known worldwide, is considered a national treasure. Much less known is its Southern California counterpart. Los Angeles’ Wrigley Field was built in the exuberant Roaring Twenties and demolished at the end of the turbulent sixties. Both its birth and demise echo the spirit of the times. The ballpark lived through the Depression, World War II, the postwar baseball boom, the decline of minor league baseball and a brief renaissance as a major-league ballpark. The history of Wrigley is intermingled with that of the City of Los Angeles. It hosted the fiercest rivalry in minor league baseball between the Pacific Coast League (PCL) Angels and Hollywood Stars as well as other baseball, boxing, football, high school and a myriad of community events. And this being Los Angeles, the ballpark appears in many motion pictures.
    Wrigley Field: A 150-foot office tower housed 13-foot clocks on its four sides that could be seen from all parts of the city, making the ballpark the iconic symbol of baseball in Los Angeles for more than 35 years.The story begins in 1921, a few years after William K. Wrigley Jr. became principal owner Chicago Cubs, when he acquired the Los Angeles Angels of the PCL. After a dispute over parking at Washington Park, Wrigley decided to erect his own ballpark. Promising local fans a venue of major-league luxury, Wrigley commissioned architect Zachary Taylor Davis, who had designed Cubs Park (as Chicago’s Wrigley Field was then called) and Comiskey Park. Following Wrigley’s instructions to pattern the design after Cubs Park, Davis used iron and steel construction and designed a covered, double-decked grandstand from foul pole to foul pole, rarities in the minor leagues at that time. Built at a cost of $1,500,000,six times the cost of Cubs Park, it was dubbed “Wrigley’s Million Dollar Palace.” Seating about 18,500 in the grandstand and 2,000 in the bleachers, the ballpark was slightly larger than its Chicago counterpart. In later years the left-field wall was planted with ivy to further emulate that ballpark. 
    On September 29, 1925, a crowd of 18,000 attended Wrigley Field’s dedication. A month later, The Sporting News published an effusive review of the new ballpark. Noting that there was not a sign to mar its beauty, and with an elevator to an observation platform with views from the mountains to the ocean, the newspaper found Wrigley Field to be in a class by itself architecturally, a “real monument to the national game.” Major league baseball owners, it argued, would not be able to boast of their parks when they saw this one and would have “to acknowledge that Wrigley has erected the finest baseball edifice in the United States.” Observing that the plasticity of today’s baseball had caused a cry for larger playing fields, the newspaper reported that Wrigley Field’s was among the largest. Home runs have been hit, it acknowledged, but those batters earned them. (It missed, however, the shortness of the power alleys.) Cubs Park may be excellent, The Sporting News concluded, “but the Angels have a better one.”1
    The ballpark’s first full season was eventful. It began on January 15, 1926, with dedication of the clock tower by Commissioner Kennesaw Mountain Landis. On March 5, the Cubs became the first major-league team to play in Wrigley Field, losing the opener of a three-game series to the Angels. During the regular season, the Hollywood Stars, newly relocated from Salt Lake City, shared the ballpark with the Angels, an arrangement lasting through 1935. The silent comedy movie Babe Comes Home, starring Babe Ruth as Los Angeles Angels’ outfielder Babe Dugan and Anna Q. Nilsson as his love interest, became the first of many films shot at Wrigley Field. The Angels capped the ballpark’s inaugural season by winning the PCL pennant.
    In early May 1930, Des Moines of the Western League had introduced lights and night baseball. The Sacramento Senators became the first PCL team to use lights on June 10. The first night game at Wrigley was played on July 22, with the Angels defeating Sacramento, 5–4, in 11 innings before 17,000 excited fans.2 Southern California had a vibrant winter league featuring major leaguers, PCL players, and usually a team from the Negro Leagues. For the 1930–31 season, the league split into an “official” Southern California Winter League and the Winter League. Playing at Wrigley Field, the Philadelphia Royal Giants participated in the Winter League, the first time since Commissioner Allen T. Burns’s ban of 1916 went into effect that a Negro League team was able to play ball in a PCL park 3
    In 1932 the New York Giants became the first major-league team to use Wrigley as their spring training headquarters.4 On September 6, 1933, with the Angels on their way to the pennant, the all-time PCL attendance record of 24,695 was set for a night double header.5 But by 1934, despite the Angels posting the best record in PCL history, the Depression was hitting Los Angeles hard and attendance was declining. The Angels and Stars drew less than 260,000 in 1934 compared to almost 400,000 the previous year. Hollywood had been losing money for several years, and in 1935 owner Bill Lane prepared to move the franchise to San Diego. The Stars went out in style, ending the season at Wrigley with a doubleheader against the San Francisco Missions. Actor Joe E. Brown amused the fans by umpiring in the second game and then pitching for the Missions with two out in the seventh inning to fan composer Harry Ruby while the rest of the team sat by the mound.6 The 1938 season saw a reincarnation of the Hollywood Stars when the Missions moved to Los Angeles and played in Wrigley for a year while awaiting the completion of their new ballpark, Gilmore Field, across town. Thus began a local rivalry enhanced by the competition between the west side and the central city/east side of Los Angeles.
    From its beginnings, Wrigley Field had served as a community resource for high school athletics, semipro football, charitable events, and boxing. On January 15, 1939, the NFL champion New York Giants beat the All-American Stars in the first Pro Bowl before 20,000.7 Wrigley was used because the Coliseum Commission would not allow professional sports. The first of two Heavyweight Championship fights was held at Wrigley on April 17, 1939. Joe Louis knocked out Jack Roper before a crowd estimated between 23,000 and 30,000.8
    After the 1941 season, major league baseball almost came to Wrigley when Don Barnes, St. Louis Browns president, orchestrated a covert deal to move the team to Los Angeles, with the Angels relocating to Long Beach as a Browns farm team. Barnes presented his proposal on December 9 at the Winter Meetings. Although other reasons were cited, the American League unanimously voted against it because of the Pearl Harbor attack two days earlier.9 The Los Angeles Times reported, “That the old gag about bringing major league baseball to Los Angeles was reborn at the American League meeting, but it lived a brief life.”10 The fans continued their support of minor league baseball, and attendance Wrigley Field would prove to be strong as World War II raged on. Because of the fear of a Japaese attack, the Army declared a restriction on night lighting along the Pacific Coast from Canada to Mexico and as far inland as 150 miles in August 1942.11 The Angels played their last night game on August 7, as fan stood and held lighted matches during the sounding of Taps and the singing of the national anthem.12 
    With the war over, in 1946 crowds flocked to the ballpark. The Angels and San Francisco Seals battled for the pennant throughout 1947, finishing in a tie. Home attendance that season had reached 622,485, the all-time record, and nearly 23,000 fans jammed Wrigley for the one-game playoff, with thousands more turned away. With no score in the bottom of the eighth and the bases loaded, Angels outfielder Clarence Maddern hit the first pitch over the left-field wall.13 Fans have called this the greatest game in Wrigley history.
    Near the end of that season, the Angels had televised their first game. However, as the major leagues began televising, interest in the minors declined and many leagues folded. To spur interest and increase broadcasting revenue, the Angels televised more games but attendance further declined. Despite such issues, local fans enjoyed memorable baseball moments, primarily between the Angels and Stars. On August 7, 1952, 23,497 fans attended a Stars-Angels game at Wrigley, the largest paid crowd for a PCL game in Los Angeles.14 Three day later, Hollywood swept a double header before 17,517 fans, who rioted after umpire Ed Runge called Stars catcher Jim Mangan safe at the plate in the 10th inning of the first game. Cushions were thrown and a fan charged onto the field. After the game, another fan attacked Runge and wrestled him to the ground. The second game was played with 35 extra policemen under the personal direction of Chief William Parker.15
    The issue of how to bring major league baseball to Los Angeles persisted. No team would come without a major-league stadium, and nobody would create one without a team. Proposals were considered to upgrade Wrigley Field’s capacity to 40,000 or 50,000, but, these entailed condemnation of private housing and businesses and could not be accomplished quickly. Although he promoted upgrades, Philip K. Wrigley was not interested in covering the cost. He quietly hired Bill Veeck to sell the ballpark, but Veeck failed to find a buyer at a satisfactory price.16
    But the local market for major league baseball was demonstrated during a 1955 spring training series between the New York Giants and Cleveland Indians meeting again after the 1954 World Series. In the first game, Willie Mays hit three home runs before 17,893. The next day 24,434 fans packed Wrigley to see Dusty Rhodes slug a pinch-hit homer and Willie Mays make an exceptional catch in deep center field.17 
    In August 1955, after Walter O’Malley announced that the Dodgers would not play at Ebbets Field after 1957, Los Angeles city officials began working to attract the Dodgers. On February 21, 1957, the Los Angeles baseball world exploded when the Dodgers announced that they had bought Wrigley Field and the Angels for $3,000,000 plus their Fort Worth franchise.18 The Angels’ final season at Wrigley Field seemed anti-climatic as the anticipation of major-league baseball permeated the city. The Angels fared poorly; the fans’ primary interest was Steve Bilko’s pursuit of Tony Lazzeri’s home run record. The last PCL games were played in Wrigley, with San Diego sweeping a double header before 6,712. During the first game, the club received anonymous calls that there was a bomb in the dugout. The players were moved to the bullpens until the police checked the dugouts. However, the game was not delayed nor was the crowd informed.19
    The Dodgers’ announcement that they would move to Los Angeles for the 1958 season came on October 8, 1957, one day after the Los Angeles City Council approved the transfer of Chavez Ravine to the Dodgers in exchange for Wrigley, with the idea of expanding the old park while the new one was built.20 Seating could be increased to 28,000 or 29,000 by enclosing the outfield with double-decked stands, the bleachers would be moved back towards Avalon Boulevard, and a 12-foot screen added in left. Then, the “soap opera” of where the Dodgers would play began, oscillating among Wrigley, the Coliseum, and the Rose Bowl. Expansion of Wrigley was reduced to 27,000, 26,000, and then to 24,000. Wrigley Field was found lacking; it had too few seats, too small a playing area, terrible parking, poor public transportation and it was situated in a declining neighborhood. Baseball Commissioner Ford Frick called it a “Cow Pasture.” He didn’t want to see Babe Ruth’s record of 60 home runs broken there.21 On January 17 the Dodgers and the Coliseum Commission agreed on a two-year contract.22 There would be no major league baseball at Wrigley Field—at least not yet.
    Now owned by the city, and with the PCL Angels relocated to Spokane, Wrigley Field was used for various events. On August 18, 1958, Wrigley held its second Heavyweight Championship fight with Floyd Patterson retaining the title over Roy Harris before a crowd of 17,000.23 In 1959, the television show Home Run Derby began filming and aired for 26 weeks.24 The show was a nine-inning contest between two of the top sluggers of the era, providing the inspiration for the Home Run Derby now part of the All-Star Game festivities.
    Then, in December 1960, the American League awarded an expansion franchise to Gene Autry christened the Los Angeles Angels. They were to play one year at Wrigley and four years at Dodger Stadium. The Los Angeles press criticized O’Malley for not sharing the Coliseum and for forcing an unfair lease upon the popular Autry. Some of their comments related to Wrigley. Sid Ziff predicted rough sledding with parking conditions that were prehistoric, rundown neighborhood, with $75,000 has-beens. Mel Durslag called Wrigley “an obsolete concrete shack.”25 Al Wolf said “Mob scenes at Wrigley Field, with the Coliseum empty, will arouse resentment among fans who believe O’Malley maneuvered the Angels into that small, parkingless park.”26 He added, “It is unfortunate that the club must open for business on short notice in an abandoned minor league park.” Nevertheless, the City undertook renovations at a cost of $275,000 to Wrigley: fresh paint inside and out, replacement of the sod and the seats, improved restrooms, refurbishment of the tower offices, and installation of radio and TV booths in an enlarged press box.
    Wrigley Field hosted its first regular season major league game on April 27, 1961, after opening ceremonies featuring Commissioner Ford Frick and Ty Cobb.27 Sportswriters predicted the expansion team would be lucky to win 50 games, but the Angels won 70. General manager Fred Haney had played at Wrigley from 1929 through 1934 and managed the Hollywood Stars from 1949 to 1952. He was familiar with the park and structured the Angels accordingly. Thus the Angels were an excellent home team in their first season, winning 46 games for a .561 percentage.
    The characteristics that made Wrigley a home-run paradise are important. The power alleys were a short 345 feet; the foul poles were a respectable 338.5 feet and 340 feet, and center field was a robust 412 feet. However, the fences were angled toward the infield more than 9 degrees. Thus the distance to the wall decreased as one moved away from the foul lines. The minimum distance to the wall was about 335 feet in left and right, making the power alleys, left and right, and left-center and right-center easy distances. Wrigley Field obliterated the minor league record for home runs with 248, a record that lasted until 1996 when 271 homers were hit at mile-high Coors Field. How good a hitters park was Wrigley? The home run park factor was 180. Almost twice as many homers were hit at Wrigley than at the average American League ballpark.
    On October 1 the Angels’ Steve Bilko hit the last home run at Wrigley Field, a pinch-hit smash over the left-field wall with two out in the ninth inning.28 After the Angels departed for their four-year stint in the Coliseum, Wrigley Field staggered on for 7 1⁄2 years as a venue for local events. Its final highlight came on May 26, 1963, when a crowd of more than 35,000 attended the largest civil rights rally ever held in Los Angeles, where Martin Luther King Jr. said, “We want to be free whether we’re in Birmingham or Los Angeles.”29 August 1965 was a traumatic time in Los Angeles as civil unrest broke out and spread over the South Central area, culminating in what would be known as the “Watts Riots.” Many federal, state, city, and private commissions analyzed the causes of the unrest. One contributing factor was a lack of long-promised community services including parks, health and senior citizen facilities, and pressure built to have Wrigley Field better serve the community. In 1966, Wrigley was converted for soccer as arguments continued over final plans and funding. Finally, in March 1969, Wrigley Field was demolished to make way for the Gilbert W. Lindsay Community Center, which includes health facilities and a park with baseball fields still in use today. Wrigley Field had admirably served as a baseball and community sports center but its time had passed. Fond memories will always linger.

    Aug 02, 2014

    05:00 PM - 10:00 PM

    The Neon Run

    Location: Fairplex campus
    It's a Neon Festival and the only place you should be on Aug. 2
    There's epic lighting, neon, costumes and music for participants to run solo or as a group
    Begins at 8 p.m.
    Parking at Gate 17 on Fairplex Dr. at prevailing rates
    Registration and information

    Aug 01, 2014 - 03, 2014


    Location: Expo Hall 9
    Friday 12 noon-8 p.m.
    Saturday 10 a.m.-8 p.m.
    Sunday 10 a.m.-6 p.m.


    1 888 SPA SALE

    Parking $10 at Gate 17 on Fairplex Dr.

    Jul 31, 2014

    05:30 PM - 08:30 PM

    Food Truck Thursdays

    Location: Fairplex lower administration lot
    Popular Food Truck Thursdays return through the first week of August in the lower administration lot.
    Hours are 5:30-8:30 p.m.
    Free admission & parking at Gate 1 on McKinley Ave.
    Street Foods Co
    Me So Hungry
    Hungry Nomad
    Son of a Bun
    Meat in the Middle
    trucks subject to change

                                                           Old Home Resotation Workshop
                                                                     Saturday August 9th

    Classes start at 9am.
    Workshops Include:Historic Foundations • Wood Window Basics
    Wood Floor Restoration • Kitchen Gardens
    Proper Pruning & Composting
    Raising Urban Chickens • Faux Graining Techniques
    And More !!!
     Learn about our $5,000 Grant Program 
    Trinity United Methodist Church 676 N Gibbs



                                   NATIONAL MUTT DAY

    Annually on July 31st and also each year on December 2nd, National Mutt Day is celebrated across the United States.  This day was created as a day to embrace, save and celebrate mixed breed dogs.
    Desperately longing for a new home, there are millions of loving and healthy mixed breed dogs, in shelters across the United States, awaiting for someone to come and adopt them.
    For more information regarding National Mutt Day, see:

    National Mutt Day, an “unofficial” national holiday was created in 2005 by Celebrity Pet Expert and Animal Welfare Advocate, Colleen Paige.  This day is celebrated on both December 2 and July 31 of each year.
    chili dog


    Each year on the last Thursday of July, hot dog lovers across the United States top their hot dogs with delicious chili to celebrate National Chili Dog Day.
    Following are some “tried and true” chili dog recipes for you to enjoy:


    National Raspberry Cake Day is jubilantly celebrated each year on July 31.  Raspberry cake is a cool and refreshing dessert that is a summer time favorite around the United States.
    Raspberries are the edible fruit of a multitude of plant species in the genusRubus of the rose family.  The name also applies to the plants themselves.
    Raspberries are woody stemmed perennials. 
    Raspberries are widely grown in all temperate regions of the World.
    Raspberries are a very important commercial fruit crop.
    At one time, raspberries were a midsummer crop, however with new technology, cultivars and transportation, 
    they can now be obtained year-round. 
    An  individual raspberry weighs 0.11 – 0.18 oz.
    An individual raspberry is made up of about 100 drupelets.
    One raspberry bush can yield several hundred berries a year. 
    A raspberry has a hollow core once it is removed from the receptacle. 
    Raspberries are a rich source of vitamin C, manganese and dietary fiber.
    Raspberries contain vitamin B1, vitamin B3, folic acid, magnesium, copper and iron.
    Enjoy the following “tried and true” recipe on National Raspberry Cake Day and share it with your friends and family!

    Wednesday, July 30, 2014

    Pomona's M.V.B. - Boz Scaggs - Lowdown


    Ren's Did You Know ? - Gilmore Field Minor League

    Gilmore Field, on Beverly Boulevard near the intersection of Beverly and Fairfax in Hollywood, California, opened on May 2, 1939 and was the home of the Hollywood Stars of the Pacific Coast League until September 5, 1957. An intimate stadium with seating capacity of 12,987, it was named after Earl Gilmore, an oil tycoon who owned oilfields on the site and whose construction company built the ballpark. A couple hundred yards to the

    west was Gilmore Stadium, an oval-shaped venue built several years earlier, which was used for football games and midget auto racing. Gilmore Field was razed in 1958, and much of the site is now occupied by a parking lot at CBS Television City, near the Farmers Market. In September of 1997, the Pacific Coast League Historical Society, CBS, and the A.F. Gilmore Company dedicated a bronze plaque in commemoration of Gilmore Field on a wall outside CBS Studio 46. In 1938, Herbert Fleishaker moved his Mission Reds baseball team from San Francisco to Los Angeles and took the name "Hollywood Stars Baseball Team". After but one season, the team was sold to new owners, including Robert H. "Bob" Cobb, who owned the Brown Derby Restaurant. The team moved from Wrigley Field to the newly built Gilmore Field at Beverly Blvd. and Farifax Ave. The Club's ownership list read like a Hollywood "Who's Who". Bob Cobb accumulated a prestigious group of owners including such notables as George and Grace Burns, William Frawley, Barbara Stanwick, Gary Cooper, Cecil B. DeMille, Bing Crosby, George Stevens and Walt Disney. The new Stars caught on and became a very popular team, winning three pennants before 1958. In 1955, actress Jayne Mansfield was named Miss Hollywood Star. The Stars became genuine rivals of the Los Angeles Angels, and it was not uncommon for fights between the teams to break out during Angels-Stars games. The Stars were innovators. They began the custom of dragging the infield during the fifth inning, creating an artificial break in the action hoping fans would run to the concessions stands. The Stars also had the dubious distinction of being the first team to replace the traditional bloused baseball trousers and stirrup socks with shorts and long socks in 1950. The theory was that players could run faster in this gear than in the baggy wool or cotton flannel uniforms of the day. In 1949, Fred Haney took over the managerial reins of the club and harvested two pennants, one second and one third in four years. Bob Bragan followed Haney and guided the Stars to another pennant. In 1956, the Stars, under the management of Clay Hopper, ended up in fourth place. The acquisition of the Brooklyn Dodgers by Los Angeles meant the ruin of the Pacific Coast League. After years in the Pacific Coast League, the Hollywood Stars played their last game on September 5, 1957, in front of 6,354 spectators. The Gilmore Field was razed in 1958 to make way for CBS Television City.  Gilmore Stadium is just east of West Hollywood.

    Pomona T.V. Movie - Big Jake 1971 - John Wayne - High Definition Full Lenght Action Movie HD

    John Wayne Documentary

    A&W Celebrates National Root Beer Float Day on August 6, 2014

    It’s free fish and chips Saturday at Long John Silver’s

    Ren's Did You Know ? - Pomona Local Lines


    POMONA LOCAL LINES The thriving city of Pomona was founded in 1875, and soon grew large enough to support street railways. At one time in the early days, five street car lines operated there; The Second Street Line, The Orange Avenue Line and the Pomona Street Railway Company. The first four lines were operated by horses, but the last was spectacular; on it operated by "North Pomona Flier", a stream dummy combining passenger car and locomotive in one vehicle---it went huffing and puffing down the street, billowing clouds of smoke and steam, visual evidence to the awe inspired citizenry that the machine age had arrived. The "North Pomona Flier" operated from Garey Ave. & Bertie St., Pomona, north along Garey Avenue, Orange Grove Avenue, Hiwasse St., Laurel St. to Railroad St., then went west to a point opposite the Santa Fe Station in North Pomona. It operated continuously from November or December, 1887 to November, 1907. During 1895 the SP acquired control and operated it until operation ceased. SP then sold the line to PE(except the real estate it owned), giving PE its first entry into Pomona. PE tore up the old rail on Garey Ave. and put down an electric railway constructed of 70-lb. steel rails. PE did retain enough PSRy real estate to furnish a site for its substation at Garey & Bertie streets. PE at once began the development of its Pomona city lines, doing the work through the PE Land Company. This work was performed from 1 October 1907 to 15 September 1911. When completed, the Pomona city lines aggregated to 10.43 miles of equivalent single track, 0.06 mile spurs and sidings. Trackage in Pomona was laid as follows: Garey Avenue, 4th to Walnut: Tracks laid December, 1907 Walnut St. to Park Ave.: " " December, 1909 West Holt Ave.: " " December, 1907 East Holt Ave.: " " June, 1909 West Second St.: " " March, 1910 S. Garey & E Fifth St.: " " September, 1910 S. Garey & Franklin Ave.: " " August, 1910 Ganesha Park Line: " " December, 1909 GAREY & PARK AVE. LINE: From Palomares St. & Franklin Ave.(Pomona Valley Cemetery), west on Franklin Ave. to Garey Avenue, north on Garey Ave. to Holt Avenue, west on Holt to Huntington Boulevard., north on Huntington to Ganesha Park, thru the Park to Walnut & Garey, south on Garey to Holt, then to starting point, Palomares & Franklin. Operation: As of 1 February 1924, car left end of W. Second at 6:40 AM, then every forty minutes until 6:00 PM; then car left Franklin & Garey at 7:30 PM and hourly until 10:30 PM. From Ganesha Park, car left at 6:00 AM and every 40 minutes until 6:40 PM; then 7:15 PM and every 30 minutes until 10:45 PM with 15-minute car running via Holt Avenue, 45-minute car running via N. Garey. W. SECOND & PARK AVE. LINE: Route: From W. Second & Oak St., via Second to Garey, north on Garey to Park Junction., west through Ganesha Park to Huntington, south on Huntington to Holt, east on Holt to Garey, south on Garey to starting point, the end of W. Second St. Operation: As of 1 February 1924, car left end of W. Second at 6:40 AM, then every forty minutes until 6:00 PM, returning; car left Ganesha Park at 7:00 AM every forty minutes until 5:40 PM, then 6:20 PM car to Third & Garey only; later service furnished by Garey & Park Ave. cars alternating(see above). HOLT & E. FIFTH ST. LINE: Route: From E. Fifth and County Line(the 1900 block), west on Fifth to Garey, north on Garey to Holt, east on Holt to Reservoir Ave.(Garfield Park). Operation: As of 1 February. 1924, car left end of E. Holt Ave. at 6:20 AM, then every forty minutes until 8:30 PM; then 9:10 PM, 9:40 and 10:20 PM, Returning, car left end of E. fifth St. at 6:00 AM, then every forty minutes until 10:00 PM; then 10:40 PM to Third & Garey only. MISCELLANY: PE's original substation in Pomona was located at 1st & Garey Ave.; in October, 1910, the output of this substation was doubled; two years later it was abandoned, its equipment taken into Los Angeles, and a new substation erected at North Pomona. Pomona was never given a station commensurate with its size; the two-block-long yard at Fifth & Garey had a corrugated iron shed in former years, but it disappeared about 1922. Although PE announced as early as 1912, it would build a station building there, it never came to pass. A passenger shelter was built at Walnut St. The E. Fifth St. line was intended to be PE's direct route to Ontario and was built with heavy(90 lb.) rail for this reason. In April 1912 PE acquired the Ontario & San Antonio Heights Railway; its round-about route thereafter became unassailable. Pomona was somewhat unique in the matter of car types used. The O&SA used its wooden California cars on Garey Avenue, with the putting of Pomona local lines into the Riverside Division in 1911, Pomona was assigned a number of old Riverside cars. Birneys came in 1918 but gave way to the 170 Class steel center-entrance locals; these put in more time at Pomona than anywhere else on PE, with all eight being assigned to Pomona area from 1920 to 1926, with two or three staying until final abandonment of the Claremont Line. Working out of Pomona was the San Dimas shuttle car, running between Lone Hill(San Dimas Junction.) and the San Dimas PE Station. This was a 170, due to 1200 volts in the trolley wire. abandonment: Patronage fell off seriously on these lines after World War I. In early 1924, PE applied for permission to abandon all of them, but it was refused. Late in 1924, PE reapplied, and this time had its way. On 1 October 1924, all Pomona local lines were abandoned; tracks were removed in 1925. Operation: 

    Pomona Fair 1960's

    Time has taken it's toll, we need to find way to save it.

    Beauty in the downtown part of a city is a necessity, not a luxury. People will always respond to beauty if we make it intimate and personal and related to the charter and integrity of the city. This was how Millard Sheets summed up his philosophy for the design of the Pomona Mall shortly after it opened in 1962.

    When it opened in 1962, this "was hailed as one of the first pedestrian malls in the United States and nationally recognized asa blueprint for urban revitalization" (it was originally part of a master plan that would've covered most of the city). The project closed off nine blocks and added trees, benches, art, and fountains (with "plenty of nearby parking"). In 1977, five of the block were reopened to cars; the closed east end has since been swalloed by the Western University of Health Sciences campus. Meanwhile, though, several pieces by Sheets, Arthur and Jean Ames, Betty Davenport Ford, and John Svenson are still in place.

    Ren's Wayback

                Alpha Beta Store "The Best For Less" Store No. 3 120 E. 2nd Started as Gerrards 
                 Ren's Note: This is near the southeast corner of Second St. and Garey Ave., and right
                                     behind it, is the Mayfair Hotel. Today it's a parking lot, no year on the