Friday, September 6, 2013

Growing up in Pomona

 
OK Porky sit down and I'll tell you a story about me growing up in Pomona.
 
OK but can I have a cookie.
 
Sure
 
OK here we go, now the first Pomona High was located on N. Gibbs St. and this picture was taken about 1906 or 07. Then they moved over to Holt when the new school was built.
After that Emerson Jr. High was there, until they got there own school built, then they moved out.
Now after they moved out, the school dist. moved in for awhile, and if you look way back behind
the school, that would be the north west corner of Palomares and Pearl
 
Can I have another cookie
 
OK
 
Now on that corner use to be a baseball field for the school, and my brother and his friends would play ball there. Now my brother had seven years on me, so if I wanted to go with him I had to hurry up and pull my diaper up and get moving, if I wanted to hang with my brother and his friends.
So I would sit there and watch them play for a long time, one time on the way home we stopped at Mel's there on the corner of Holt and Palomares, for a drink of cold water. But my brother bought me a five cent single scoop chocolate ice cream instead, pretty nice for the old chap to do that.
 
So are we going to Mel's now to get some ice cream ?
 
Nope, you had two cookies already
 
I need something to wash them down with and ice cream would do the trick.
 
Nope, besides that Mel's is closed now.
 
Then why did you say we are going to get some ice cream.
 
Say goodbye Porky
 
Goodbye Porky, Ren your weird.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment