Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Bunny Gunner Gallery, APR 7 Zephyr : Works by Sumi Foley


SUMI FOLEY


Sumi was born in Osaka, Japan. She has been making fabric art for more than 25 years. Several years ago Sumi changed from hand-stitching to creatively using fabric as pigment, which makes her work appear so "painterly. "Sumi combines traditional Japanese aesthetics and her own unique vision to create her fabric art pieces.
“I love fabric. As a child of 4 or 5 years old, I would often spend the night at my Grandmother’s house.
She had boxes of kimono scraps. I enjoyed spending my time touching and gazing at the fabric. At the same time my Grandmother showed me the art of sewing.

Years later, when she was about to throw a big bag of old kimono fabric in the trash, I asked her to give me that fabric... See More



No comments:

Post a Comment