Saturday, February 20, 2021

Karen Ruth Karlssson "Geomancy" Virtual Art Walk


 




Virtual ArtWalk by Karen Ruth Karlsson

About this Event

The art works in Geomancy are a new body of work that continues my exploration of geometric abstraction. I have always been drawn to the order and structure of geometry, which to me seeks to bring order out of chaos. All of the pieces in this series have been created in the chaos and uncertainty of COVID-19. I have also folded Origami since I was a child and to this day I fold paper cranes during boring meetings. When I discovered geometric origami forms, both two-dimensional and 3-dimensional, I began to experiment with ways to incorporate them into my encaustic work. The wax is an integral part of the work, functioning not just as a glue, but as an element that encapsulates, solidifies and freezes a moment in time.


		Karen Ruth Karlssson "Geomancy" Virtual Art Walk image

I am a painter and printmaker living and working on the desert fringes of Los Angeles. My work aims to bring structure and order to a chaotic world. Growing up within the grid that is New York City informs my geometric abstractions rendered in layers of wax, resin and pigment; they reflect the tension between humans and nature, structure and function, revealing a world built on mathematical shapes that, regardless of absolutes, never quite feels defined. My encaustic paintings, monoprints, etchings, collagraphs, and mixed media works have been curated into group and solo exhibits across the country, and are included in the permanent collection of the Chaffey Community Museum of Art.

Karen Ruth Karlsson

No comments:

Post a Comment